
We had a rough 6 weeks or so before Bekah was born where things seemed to be breaking right and left... first the water softener, then the cordless screwdriver (that may sound like nothing, but I use it at least once a week or more!), the dryer caught fire (ahhh!), the blender (once again, it doesn't sound like a big deal, but I use it a few times a week for yogurt and fruit smoothies), the water pipes got clogged between our kitchen sink and our bathtub and it took Nate a couple of days to fix it, the dryer broke again, and finally, my breaking point...
At 9 months pregnant, you really are just trying to do the basics needed to survive so you can devote your leftover (ha!) energy to getting ready for the baby... and adding the extra stress of not being able to do laundry every day like I need to (when the dryer was broken twice and the pipes were being repaired) was not helping. Anyway, I was in the kitchen preparing food for our fellowship meal, and had been on my feet in the hot kitchen for three hours, when Katy's puppy Gloria peed in the middle of the kitchen floor. I asked Katy to clean it up, and she promptly asked Hannah to clean it so she could get back outside, and Hannah agreed to. I turned back to my carrot cake that I was mixing in my mixmaster, assuming the job was getting done. What I didn't know was that Hannah had been unable to find the paper towels (Katy had not brought a new roll up from downstairs like she was supposed to when she used them up). So Hannah decided to go out and play because she couldn't clean. Then Stephen decided to come RUNNING into the kitchen- when I heard his little feet padding in, I turned around- just in time to see him flying up in the air, literally with his feet up and his head down and then him landing on his head in the dog urine. Gross, you say! But I ran over and scooped him up anyway- thus getting it all over me, too. And when Nate walked in, there we were, both of us sobbing.In dog urine. But why were you crying, Colleen, you ask? Once I ascertained that Stevie was fine, it hit me that I had dropped everything when I saw him falling... including the scraper I was using in the mixer- and it was on! As soon as I turned it off and retrieved the spatula I tested the mixer and, sure enough, the timing was wayyyyy off (it had been off slightly before, but it was still useable)... and now there was no way to use it anymore. So it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Or the mixer that broke my spirit. Or whatever.
I only told 2 friends about what had happened- my friend Leigh, who I knew would sympathize with the craziness of it all and be able laugh at it with me, and my friend Dottie, who genuinely wanted to know what had been going on with us. Well, it turns out that Dottie's mom had just offered her her mixer, and Dottie had turned it down for lack of space. Dottie said how providential that was, and that she'd ask her mom if she could give it to me. Well, you can't imagine my shock when Nate walked in the door the next week with the mixer from Betty (Dottie's mom)... It was a Kitchenaid with a bunch of attachments- and she told me at church a few weeks ago that she hardly used it, so she's glad it'll be put to good use now. Boy, is it ever! Thank you Lord, and thank you, Betty!
No comments:
Post a Comment