Sunday, April 19, 2009

In which we see "our" cows...













About a month and a half ago (I know, I'm a slacker for not having this on here yet, but I'll explain later!) we went to the farm where we get our milk and eggs. It was perfect timing... they were also doing their maple syrup! So we were able to see "our cows" get milked and the girls fed the calves their bottles (they were only 3 days old!), the children took our kids on a pony cart ride around their property, and we all were able to go on buggy rides and see the maple syrup being made. It was wonderful to get to know the family that runs the farm (a friendly amish couple that are about our age), and all of our children played with theirs... even though ours don't know Pennsylvania Dutch, they were still able to pretend they were horses! The parents of one of our friends from church came with and brought a few of their grandchildren (who are friends with our girls), so you'll see Emmaline and Elijah in the pics, too. These were taken just when we got there, because I didn't want to make this wonderful family nervous about the camera being out (which is also why there are no pics of the cows being milked). The amish people choose to not be photographed for several reasons, and I am always dismayed when I hear of tourists trying to get pictures of them... us "Englishers" can really be rude the the amish at times, which is incredibly unfortunate. Anyway, enough of my rantings! We had a wonderful, amazing, fabulous time, and were completely exhausted by the end of the day... the last pic is us waiting for Hannah and Nate to be done at the store (we had to pick up something for the next day). I think Erin could've been at the farm another 4 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment