Monday, June 18, 2012

Crazy Day

So, today I had planned on us going to the park after dinner to play for awhile. Then the kids asked if we could eat at the park, and I was planning on salad, so I figured, why not? So I got the greens ready for the salad, threw on the fixings (sunflower seeds, feta, dressing, dried cranberries) and realized we were out of mandarin oranges. We know how to clean a pantry out of mandarin oranges in this family, let me tell you! :)  Okay, no biggie- let me just get the chicken out of the fridge... wait... why is there a chicken carcass where there once was a barely touched fully roasted bird there before? My beloved had assumed that it since it was leftovers, it was fair game- not knowing I was saving it for something. Since he is such a great guy, I decided to forgive him (hee hee!), and set about trying to find an alternative protein source in addition to the cheese and sunflower seeds. Fruit salad! I make a mean fruit salad with yogurt (homemade- yum!)sauce. So I threw that together also, packed up the picnic basket, and we headed out.
Now, here's where it got really interesting... we arrived at the park and got everything out. I remarked to Nate that at least there was a breeze (it was over 90 degrees out), so that made it feel tolerable. Then we tried to set everything up. Tried being the operative word. Apparently the wind had decided to make it's presence known right then and there... as soon as I got something out of the basket, the wind tried to whip it away. Then we realized someone had put the cups in the wrong bag. So we had a big container of ice water with no way to drink it in 90+ heat. Well, I'll just dish up the fruit salad first- that will hold the plates down- right? Trying to dish up the green salad seemed dicey to me in the wind, so I was going to have everyone sit so they were blocking the wind before I did that. So I dished up the fruit salad and had the girls bring the plates to the table. Then a big gust came out of nowhere and flipped 2 of the plates over onto the table and seat. Then Hannah sat in one of the messes. Then another plate flipped as everyone scrambled to get the 2 plates that were flying away and got Katy and I spattered with fruit salad all over our legs. We're tough- we can take it, right? That was just a gust, let's get everyone situated and... a plate flipped right into poor Bekah Boo's face. Not only that, but as Nate and Katy were cleaning her up and I was packing everything up because we decided we were DONE with the wind, a certain young lady put down the last plate of fruit salad... guess where? Yep, right in front of Bekah and guess what happened? Needless to say, Bekah was on the receiving end of a wonderful, amazing, super bubbly bath right after we got home. I bet pineapple is good for your hair if you're blond, right? I know yogurt is... so she received spa treatment at the park and at home today. :)
Now I'm going to go to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment