Saturday, March 13, 2010

Recipes...

I've had several requests for recipes from some of you, and I thought I'd post them here so I wouldn't have to do a lot of cutting and pasting.  If there's one I've forgotten, please let me know!


Homemade yogurt


Put 2 quarts of whole milk in a slow cooker. Turn on high for 3 hours or until nearly boiling and turn off for an hour until still warm, but not hot to the touch (it takes me about 1 and a half hours for this, but I'm making it in my 2 quart slowcooker that is very efficient at getting hot and staying hot for some time). Stir in a single serve plain yogurt well (make sure it's not low fat or fat free). Re-cover and put in a draft free, undisturbed place and about 8 hours later you'll have yogurt... refrigerate! I add fruit and honey as I serve it- we also looooove it as smoothies, which are super easy. So- enjoy!





Cooked chicken and stock


1 chicken (I just rinse and stick it in the pot- make sure there aren't any gizzards in there still, though!)

4 stalks celery with leaves, washed and cut

1 small onion, sliced

2 sprigs parsley (I use a sprinkling of dried parsley)

1 bay leaf

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 tsp. dried thyme

1/4 tsp. pepper

4 cups cold water



Combine all and cook in slow cooker for 7-10 hours on low. Remove chicken from cooker (it will fall apart, so beware!) Strain broth through a sieve lined with 2 layers of 100% cotton cheesecloth. Discard solids in cheesecloth. Skim fat off broth if using right away, otherwise refrigerate for 6+ hours and then remove fat. Pour broth in airtight container and seal (I use a mason jar) and freeze or keep in fridge for up to 3 days.

When chicken is cool enough to handle remove meat from bones (I sort white and dark meat usually, unless I'm doing it for soup). Discard skin and bones, refrigerate until chilled and then freeze or keep in fridge for up to 3 days.

Makes about 5 cups broth (!) and 4 cups cooked meat. Which can then be used for soup, casseroles, or the yummy recipe below...



I can make this go throughout the week in soups, casseroles, and tacos. And the stock is excellent because all of the vitamins and minerals have been leached from the bones, on top of the ones from the vegetables... so good for you! Especially during cold season!




Chicken Pot Pie

(I usually quadruple this recipe and use half to fill a 9x13 if we have company and put the other half in a freezer bag for instant pie filling later).  This is one of our favorite meals and goes well with a salad on the side.

1 pkg pie crusts (I make my own)
1/3 cup diced onions
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
1-3 cups cooked chicken
2 cups mixed veggies

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place one pie crust in 9 inch pie plate. In medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, cook until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Stir in chicken and veggies; remove from heat. Pour into pie shell and cover with other crust- crimp edges and cut some venting slits in top. Bake for 35-40 minutes.



Pizza Hut Breadstick Topping
(I keep this in a container in the fridge- it will make enough for lots of batches of breadsticks)

1 white bread dough (the frozen kind is fine, or you can use homemade)
4 Tbsp. Parmasean cheese
3 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp. Onion Salt
1 Tbsp. Oregano
dash Basil
dash Parsley Flakes

Roll bread dough into rectangle about 9x13 and bake (I coat my pan with Light Olive Oil). Blend other ingredients in small cup. Brush baked bread with butter immediately after removing from oven and sprinkle with seasoning, then cut with a pizza cutter and enjoy. This goes well with pizza and salad, or with soup.


Macaroni and Cheese

8 oz. cooked elbow macaroni
3 cups milk
few drops Worcestorshire Sauce
3/4 lb. cheese
4 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp dry mustard
3 Tbsp. flour
2 tsp. salt

Melt butter, stir in flour until smooth. Add milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until as thick as thin cream. Add mustard, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Grease a medium sized baking dish. put a layer of macaroni on the bottom, then a layer of cheese. Repeat until dish is full, topping with cheese. Pour sauce over all. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

(I also quadruple this one and fill a 13 1/2 by 11 dish and freeze the leftover sauce in mason jars. Then all I need to do is cook the noodles and thaw the sauce next time I need to make mac n' cheese).


Applesauce Muffins
(our favorite muffins- thanks, Dottie!)

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup applesauce
1 tsp. soda
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 3/4 cups flour (whole wheat is great!)
1 cup raisins (opt.)
Mix and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Makes a dozen (Yep, I usually quadruple this one, too!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment